Greystead Old Church
A stunning, architect-designed conversion of an early 19th century Grade II listed former Georgian church in the heart of the North Tyne Valley, just yards from the banks of the North Tyne river, and only 4 miles from Kielder Water.
Lovingly and sympathetically restored in 2013 and luxuriously furnished and appointed with antiques, oriental rugs, and top range appliances and bedding to provide holiday accommodation of an exceptional standard, this inspirational recent conversion contains many striking original features. These include a fully-restored Victorian stained glass window and colourful Victorian tiles, Georgian-Gothic archway, exposed Georgian stonework and flagstones and Georgian panelling, which combine with the eco-friendly heating via a bio-mass boiler to create an exceptional conversion. The stunning Georgian Church Tower will be opening in 2023.
Luxuriously appointed throughout, the converted church has a vast first floor Mezzanine open-plan living area covering two thirds of the former nave, as well as a fabulous Neptune fitted Kitchen with a central island and granite work surfaces. The spacious Dining and Sitting areas all have stunning views from the original Georgian-Gothic lancet windows, and sight-lines over the Mezzanine balcony to the East End Sitting Room, and are the perfect place to enjoy an evening glass of wine!
Winner of Visit England Rose Award - 2022. Gold Winner of Sykes Cottages Awards 2017 for "Best in North East" and "Best Historic Property"
- Four ground floor bedrooms: 2 x king-size doubles with en-suite shower, basin and WC. 1 x king-size double with en-suite bath, shower over, basin and WC. 1 x twin with corridor access to main bathroom.
- Very spacious Sitting Room under the stunning Victorian Stained Glass window, formed from the East End of the former church, with large flat-screen 55" TV, seating for 8 plus, and large wood-burner.
- Entrance porch formed from the original Porch under the West Tower.
- Inner Lobby and central corridor giving access to bedrooms, with stunning axial views of the East End Stained Glass Window.
- Stunning oak staircase with metal balustrade leading to:
Open Plan Mezzanine Living Area
- Vast open-plan living, dining and recreational area, floored in oak, with stunning views from the Georgian lancet windows over the churchyard and surrounding scenery, balcony with views over the East End and stained glass window, and viewing gallery at the West End down to the ground floor .
The Mezzanine features:
- State-of-the-art Neptune fitted Kitchen with wall units and central island, all with granite worktops.
- Two further spaces for sitting and relaxation, sited either side of the West End balcony, with further sofa and armchairs, second TV and two large bookcases with library of books, DVDs, Iplayer, board games etc
The enclosed garden, with fabulous hill views, garden furniture and BBQ, is sited in a quiet corner the owners' spacious shrub and lawn Old Rectory Garden, but fully separate. Surrounded by a traditional-style picket fence, the garden offers a very safe play area for children and dogs. There is ample off-road parking for 4+ cars in the spacious Old Church drive. Recently awarded Northumberland Tourism "Stay & Gaze" status, enjoy our new star-gazing platform to view the area's famous 'Dark Skies'. Superbly sited near the Old Church garden; bring your own telescope or just enjoy a panoramic view of the night sky using the binoculars and star-gazing equipment provided in your cottage.
- Eco-friendly central heating via biomass (wood chip) boiler.
- Additonal wood-burner in main sitting room (fuel, starter pack included).
- Free landline and internet access via wireless broadband.
- Top-grade, built-in, mostly Bosch appliances including electric oven, microwave, induction hob, fridge/freezer, dishwasher, washing machine and tumble drier.
- Flat-screen 55" Smart TV and second TV on Mezzanine, both with Freesat and DVD players.
- Radio/CD player, ipod, iphone and ipad compatible
- Library of books, boardgames, DVDs and CDs.
- Bed linen and towels included.
- Travel cot and highchair available.
- Ample eco-friendly grass-effect off-road parking in the churchyard access area for up to 4 cars.
- Enclosed garden area with fabulous hill views, furniture and BBQ in secluded area of owners' spacious Rectory Garden.
- Two well-behaved dogs very welcome.
- Sorry, no smoking please.
- Shops 5 miles, pub 3 miles.
- Access to North Tyne river within yards.